Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Nha Trang to Saigon

HIGHLIGHTS

- Went to a mud bath/mineral spa thing with our good Brit buddies Sean and Phil. Sat in a giant muddy pool with Asians and poured mud all over ourselves and each other. Then went in various pools and mineral showers including one high-pressure one that resembled a car wash or torture device more than anything. Worthwhile nonetheless.

- Cakes got scuba certified, complete with a free shirt!

- Bus to Saigon was NOT a honker. How's that even possible?! Nothing short of a miracle.


LOWLIGHTS

- Getting sunburned/blistering shoulders on a BACKPACKing trip. Guess sunscreen isn't just for suckers.

- Sean and Phil speak "cockney" so even though it's technically English, they'll finish entire sentences and look around and we're all just staring at each other hoping someone else caught what they said. Can we not escape the language barrier?

- Almost missing our bus to Saigon, thanks again to the language barrier, and having to run two blocks with our backpacks on [note lowlight #1] to catch it. Straight out of "The Amazing Race."

- Bus to Saigon broke down at 5am. There's a real bonding power of an overnight bus. I really felt it as we all piled into a city bus to finish the drive. Cake and I sat/slept on what I guess would be the "floor" of the bus amidst the luggage. My Power Rangers sheet around me though was sufficient to count it as a real bed.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'd vote for you on the amazing race. Wait, do they vote?

This sounds like a good experience for you to work on your cockney accent. You've got to admit it needs work.

Also, wow on the mud bath thing. I saw that on Bizarre Foods once. Sounded pretty cool and very gross, but I guess no worse than a public swimming pool minus the chlorine. hmm, something to think about.