- Arrived back in Bangkok. It was very hot and sticky. Had 2 bottles of their famous OJ made from Clementines.
- Stopped en route at some very American looking gas station. It has A/C (miracle #1) and PB Oreos. Life is good!
LOWLIGHTS
- So I don't know if a blog description of this event can really do it justice but I'll try. It'll give you a little taste of how the tourism industry works out here. We had a 10-hr bus ride this morning to Bangkok. The first bus we got on was jam-packed with people. It was like a small school bus and the whole back and the aisle were all full of luggage. We were all squished together and it was hot and sticky. Despite how full it felt, we kept stopping to pick up more ppl. We pull over into some parking lot and a taxi meets us there. These 2 girls get off and one of them is already quite upset about something. She's arguing about the price of something relating to her bus ticket. Anyway, she's bugged but under control. Then the driver is in the bus counting seats and counting ppl. Soon a scooter pulls over with a plastic chair on the back (like the flimsy kid ones at Wal-mart with a generic character on the back). The chair is put onto the bus and the driver asks if anyone would mind sitting in the chair. Of course the ppl (all tourists) just laugh and say no way. I was trapped in the back corner of the bus in a space much smaller than the chair anyway. So then the driver goes back outside and the girl just starts screaming. "Absolutely not!!! I am NOT sitting on a plastic chair. We paid for 2 seats! I am NOT sitting on a plastic chair!!" So this goes on for a while, and eventually she has no choice b/c the bus just pulls away, leaving her and her more reasonable friend standing in the parking lot. For reals? We pull over about a block and a half later and just wait. Turns out it was a scare tactic. A scooter pulls up with the girls and their luggage. They sheepishly get on the bus and the quieter friend takes her place in the plastic chair and enjoys the 4-hr ride. Ha! Eesh. That whole "customer is always right" idea really doesn't fly here.
- Blair and I were hired to schlep the luggage out of the back of the bus through the window to the driver below. Awesome.
- We decided we're making an "uncomfortable sleeping positions" montage. See pic below.
3 comments:
Why didn't you just offer to sit in the plastic chair? I bet if they had strapped it to the outside of the bus you would have.
Ok, I just saw pics of your peeled skin from your sunburn. You are in trouble, my daughter. Wear sunscreen!
Ok, A) I would've sat in the blasted chair, only i was stuck in the furthest possible spot of the bus in a place much smaller than the chair was. I felt it was my duty to stay occupying the small, small spot. and B) Mom, remember the part where Blair made us buy Aloe and more sunscreen? I'm much better now, I promise. My skin just overreacted from not seeing the sun for 18 mths.
Post a Comment